Today’s tile is larger than ever. For ceramic or porcelain tile greater than 15” (38 cm) on one or more sides and for all natural stone, the new industry standard calls for the use of a specialized mortar.
These modified dry-set mortars (large format tile mortars) are specifically formulated for large and heavy tile. They resist slumping to support the increased weight, promoting smoother tile installations with reduced lippage or unevenness between tiles. Uneven tiles detract from the smooth, monolithic look of the floor, create challenging grout joints and can even present a trip and fall hazard.
CUSTOM’s unmatched family of large format tile (LFT) mortars ranges from everyday performance to high-performance options with attributes engineered to address specific jobsite issues such as crack isolation, the need for 10-year or lifetime warranties, a fast return to service or tile installation weight considerations.
- NEW! VersaBond®–LFT Professional Large Format Tile Mortar is a new general-purpose, economical, polymer-modified medium bed mortar for use with large format porcelain, ceramic and nature store tile. With a non-slumping formula to eliminate lippage, VersaBond-LFT can be applied up to 3/4" thick on horizontal applications and bonds well to concrete, backerboard and plywood for interior and exterior applications. Recommended for floors.
- MegaLite® the Ultimate Crack Prevention Large Format Tile Mortar is a lightweight mortar with unsurpassed bond strength for the most demanding installation requirements and the flexibility to withstand horizontal substrate movement up to 1/8". Formulated with CustomLite® technology, it is 40 percent lighter than traditional mortars and offers excellent handling and non-sag/non-slip performance on walls. It’s also available in a rapid setting formula.
- Natural Stone & Large Tile Mortar is a premium product for installing large format tile with high bond strength and suitability for installation on walls and floors. It was formerly known as CUSTOM’s Marble, Granite & Travertine mortar but was renamed to reflect its overall LFT properties. This mortar qualifies for CUSTOM’s lifetime warranty when used with a qualifying system of eligible preparation and grouting products.
- ProLite® Premium Large Format Tile & Stone Mortar is a lightweight, medium bed mortar for floors and walls with high bond strength. Formulated with CustomLite® technology, it’s 40 percent lighter than other mortars for excellent handling and non-sag/non-slip installation. It’s also available in a rapid setting formula.
- Complete Contact™–LFT Premium Rapid Setting Large Format Tile & Stone Mortar is a flowable mortar that delivers complete coverage on floors reducing the need for back buttering. It’s more fluid than traditional thin-sets, but still holds ridges and supports deeper notched trowels needed for large format tile installation. Collectively, these benefits save installation time and deliver a strong bond.
Need more help in selecting the right large format tile mortar? Call CUSTOM Technical Services at (800) 282-8786.
Download our white paper on large format tile mortars.