"Don't just go green…go Emerald"
Custom Building Products' Emerald System of products takes environmental responsibility beyond the current standard.
The Emerald System is Custom's complete system of environmentally responsible products for all surface preparation, setting solutions and grout products. It expands our Build Green program by addressing some key issues related to the practice of green building products:
Eliminates the confusion around green Agency Compliance;
Emerald System products are guaranteed to comply with all leading environmental agency certifications.
Assures quality warranty programs for products used;
The Emerald System can be eligible for our Lifetime Installations Systems Warranty.
Greenhouse Gas Reduction
Addresses the issue of CO2 production from installation product manufacturing;
Emerald System products are the first to offer Carbon Offset Credits.
Our Emerald System takes environmental responsibility to a whole new level
It is difficult to sort through the various building industry agency regulations and determine what is required to be "green". There are voluntary and mandatory standards; some communities have adopted one standard, while neighboring communities may have adopted others. Many of these standards are still in development, and many communities are trying to decide which is appropriate for their local needs.
Custom Building Products continually monitors the developing regulations for sustainable building practices, making sure our products meet these requirements where possible. The Emerald System eliminates any concern over meeting the regulation for a particular project. Products in the Emerald System have been formulated to meet the requirements of all leading agencies sustainability (green) standards. Products in the Emerald System comply with the requirements of ANSI A138.1, and can assist in obtaining LEED certification.
Lifetime Installation Warranty
It is known fact that ceramic tile and natural stone are amongst the most durable surfacing materials. Ceramic tile is rated to last 60 years, and there are many examples of it lasting centuries. It is just as important that the installation products last as long as the tile itself.
Custom Building Products understands the importance of durability and we design products that meet this demand. Sometimes, there are concerns that the use of low VOC or recycled material may compromise the performance of the product. Custom makes sure that all products meet and exceed the requirements established for tile installation products. Custom backs the performance of products in the Emerald System; when a complete Emerald System of products is used in an installation, we support it with up to a Lifetime Warranty.
Details of Custom's System Warranty
Ceramic Tile Installation and Global Warming
Many Scientists believe that the main contributor to global warming is the increase of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Although there are several gases that are classified as greenhouse gases, the largest contributor is Carbon Dioxide (CO2).
What has caused the increase in CO2 in our Atmosphere?
- The primary cause is industrialization.
- 30 billion tons of CO2 is released into our atmosphere every year. Most of this comes from burning fuel for transportation and to produce energy.
- The production of Portland cement is one of the largest contributors to CO2 in the industrial sector, emitting 600 million tons annually.
How does installing tile or stone release CO2 into the atmosphere?
- Most Portland cement is used to construct buildings and roadways. Traditional thin-set mortars and grouts contain Portland cement.
What is Custom Building Products doing to reduce CO2 emissions?
- We are researching alternatives to Portland cement that will not affect the performance or the way you install tile.
- We are working with our Portland cement suppliers to find alternative manufacturing processes.
- We are purchasing Carbon Offset Credits. To learn more about our offset program, click here.
What are Carbon Credits and how are they used?
- In 2005 the Kyoto Protocol was established to reduce greenhouse gases worldwide, and has been adopted by many countries throughout the world. Part of the Kyoto Protocol was the establishment of international trading of Carbon Credits.
- Purchases of these Carbon Credits support the construction and operation of tangible greenhouse gas reduction projects.
- Establishment of wind energy farms to replace the burning of fossil fuels
- Construction of facilities to capture methane from landfills and dairy farms to convert the gas to usable energy.
- Reforestation to replace CO2-absorbing trees that were cut for lumber.
Carbon Offset Credits
The Emerald System is the first installation system to contribute to a long-term solution to the emission of CO2 resulting from Portland Cement production by offering Carbon Offset Credits.
Visit Terrapass, Inc
Custom Building Products has partnered with TerraPass, a leading Carbon Management Service, to obtain Carbon Offset Credits.
- By utilizing a full Emerald System of underlayment, thin-set mortar, and grout, Custom will obtain Carbon Offset Credits from TerraPass. TerraPass then uses the funds to support current and future projects two or more years out that reduce CO2 emissions.
- Reducing the greenhouse gas emissions around the world helps stop global warming and its affect on our environment.
Here's how it works:
When a warranty is registered with Emerald System products, Custom will issue Carbon Offset Credits to the project owner.